Picture

Picture

Archives

10.06.2015

End of September!

Very hectic end of the month!

The house has floors! Michael ran 100 miles in Utah! Everyone was sick! Swimming lessons! Karate! School! Woof.

First up...house. Hardwoods are down, molding is in, all doors are in and painted (except for the front door). While we were in Utah I got an email from the builder saying that he had us scheduled for tile in the shower. We had been wondering why they didn't put the rest of the walls up. The tile is an upgrade but he said since it was a mistake on their end, no charge. He just needed out approval. I said go on ahead! We stopped by the house Tuesday after we got back in town and all the tile for the floors was installed, not grouted. I haven't heard anything about the cabinets. The mantel is constructed, not tiled or painted. So we are so close! Just need cabinets and countertops, finishes, lights, toilets, driveway, paint on front door and a good cleaning! Hoping we get it this month, but not sure!
Living room looking in dining room, kitchen bar.
Untitled

Girls Bath.
Untitled

Master closet.
Untitled

Master shower.
Untitled

Living room.
Untitled

Fireplace.
Untitled

Kitchen
Untitled

This post was started last week...but it takes me a while to get back to normal after those races!

Last Tuesday my mom came in town to keep the girls for us. We left for Salt Lake City at 2:30 Wednesday morning. We had to drive to Atlanta for our flight...it was $100s cheaper than leaving from Asheville or Greenville. We flew from Atlanta to Phoenix, and into Salt Lake where we met up with Scott at the airport. We got out rental car which was mildly ridiculous! It was a chevy spark and super tiny! Luckily James was able to get a bigger car and I would drive that for the race. We hit up a few running stores and headed to the hotel. Scott had heard about a fantastic Mexican Restaurant called the Red Iguana. We headed there for an early dinner. Michael and I ate lunch at 9:30 Phoenix time, which was 11:30 our time. We also discovered that Phoenix doesn't have Day Light Savings time, so we couldn't figure out what happened in the air and when we landed at Salt Lake City. We were baffled and we finally figure that out. Good times.

I took a selfie with Michael...
Untitled

and got in a little bit of trubs!
Untitled

We checked out of the hotel and decided to take a scenic route to Park City, Utah. That place was pretty cool! We saw a lot of what was left of the Olympics! The mountains in Utah are totally different from ours. Ours are covered in trees and smaller. Those mountains are bigger and bald! Lots of rock! The aspens were very pretty thought, yellow everywhere! We ate lunch at Wasatch Brew Pub and then drove into Logan, Utah to meet James at the house.

Driving into Park City.
Untitled

Trees! Yellow is aspen!
Untitled



Untitled

Michael getting his race gear ready. Only picture I have of him smiling!
Untitled

James and Scott did some sort of vacation house rental and they said we could stay for free if we slept in the basement...so we did that! We met up with him and headed into Logan for the race meeting, check-in, packet pickup. After that we went to a little Italian restaurant for them to carb load. We headed back to the house and everyone got prepared for tomorrow. I just decided to take all of my stuff and throw it in the car as it was going to be hot and it was also going to be cold! We went to bed pretty early. Michael and I got up at 3:45 and packed our stuff in the car and mosied around for an hour or so. Then it was time to head to the race. Race started at 6 am. We took a few pictures and next thing you know...count down began.

Packet pickup and race meeting.
Untitled

Untitled

The boys! Getting ready!
Untitled

Untitled

Killer shorts!
Untitled

Countdown!
Untitled

The forecast for the day was brutal. It was record high temps for September in Utah. I had heard someone saw 93 with a heat index of 97. Woof. This was going to be a long one. They took off and were a little slower than they thought they would be.

Leatham Hollow: 19.66
Untitled

They all looked good at the first and second aid station. By the third aid station, the game had changed. It was HOT. They didn't look good. Michael had his sunk in face look. He was running out of water as he was only running with one 24 oz bottle. When he arrived to aid stations he was out of water. He sat down and ate some food and tried to drink as much as he could, but it was just too hot. As mentioned above, their mountains are different. The runners are totally exposed because there are no trees. So the sun and the heat are just beating them down!

Untitled

Untitled

I was getting ready to leave this aid station and a guy asked me if I was headed to the next aid station and I said yes and he asked for a ride. He hopped in and I discovered he was in the race, he had just DNF and I was driving him to his crew. He said it was just so hot!

I waited and waited and waited at this aid station. It was almost dark and I decided to go for walk down the trail. The first person I saw was James. I think I had walked about 2 miles out and I walked back in with him. He was having a hard time too. He said he had left Michael and Scott...but was having some major stomach issues. I helped him at the aid station and Scott came in, he said Michael was about to come in and that he was in bad shape. So I took off down the trail and found him and walked him in. He had barfed twice. He looked pretty bad. He said he didn't know if he could make it or not. I told him to hang in there, it was dark, it was cooler...the race was changing. I told him to push on to the next aid station and see how he felt.

At Tony Grove, mile 51, everyone fell apart. James came in first, he sat at the aid station for almost an hour. He was trying to re-hydrate, eat, and vomit. He vomited a good chunk. Michael and Scott came in and also stayed for about 45 minutes. While James was vomiting, Scott was binge eating. Michael was laid out on the floor. He looked at me and asked if I would be mad if he quit. I said it is up to you, this is your race. But, your the one who will have to face your first DNF of a 100 mile course. I didn't want him to quit. Look at the logistics of getting us here...hours upon hours upon hours and miles, miles, miles of training. The money to get us here. No, I didn't want him to quit. That was a deep dark aid station for all three. I didn't think we would make it.

After one last good vomit, James said if he doesn't get out of here, he would never leave. So he left, and Michael and Scott were about 15 minutes behind him.

Franklin Trailhead: Mile 61.8. I was fully prepared to face the reality of Michael quitting. But, he ran in perkier. He looked better. He mowed down food, changed shoes and socks, filled up the bottle and headed on out. James and Scott looked better too! Great news for all!

Beaver Lodge: 75.82 I have always told Michael, if you make it into the 70s, you can't quit a hundred mile race! James ran in first. His foot was in bad shape as he had popped a major blister at mile 30. His entire heel was a blister. He finally took his socks off and had a ski medic guy look at it. The guy said not to do anything to it at this point as it would only make it worse. Since he had already popped it and was dehydrated, there was no fluid. So he put on clean socks and shoes, refueled, and told me to tell Michael to catch him as he was walking. Michael came in running about 15 minutes after James left. He checked in and checked out and got some supplies. He had said Scott would be about 45 minutes behind him, and to wait. Michael took off and Scott rolled in around 30 minutes. He looked great, changed some shoes and refueled and left!

Untitled

Michael messed up his calculations on mileage and timing so I didn't get to sleep! But I saw the sunrise!
Untitled

Leaving Beaver Lodge!
Untitled

Beaver Creek: 85.25 Michael caught James and they both ran in together. They mowed down bacon and pancakes. Michael did some blister repair and off they went up the hill. Scott was about 45 minutes after them. I got him taken care of and off he went. I told Scott I didn't know if I was going to make it to the last aid station, and if I didn't see him, I would be at the finish.

Untitled

He doesn't like this picture because I call it his "YES I MADE IT" pose!
Untitled


Ranger Dip: 92.2 I made it to that aid station. Michael ran in first with James in eye-sight. Repeat of the eating and drinking...we did some math and decided that I couldn't wait on Scott and needed to head to the finish. I watched them go down the hill and took off!

Untitled

James in red behind Michael.
Untitled

These are pretty typical of the roads I had to drive on...this one was exceptionally bumpy, just not right here. To the left is a good size stream running parallel to the road. These are all fire roads.
Untitled


I was leading a car out of that aid station and I looked at my directions and realized they were wrong. I pulled over and let them lead and followed them to the finish. What a beautiful drive! You curve down a winding road and then you see this beautiful turquoise lake known as Bear Lake. I wanted to stop and take a picture, but I was afraid of getting lost. But man it sure didn't look like it belonged there. In Utah you can see for miles and miles because there are no trees...so odd being from the south!

Finish: Mile 100. Michael: 34:16:32 James: 34:16:35 Scott: 34:46:28 all three of my runners finished. That was also the first time I crewed three people. I told them its a good thing they are nice...cause if they weren't I'd be like oh hell no, I am not getting you more soup!

DONE 100...Michael's 8th finish.
Untitled

and Scott made it in!
Untitled

Having gone 36 hours without phones!
Untitled

James's blister...yuck!
Untitled

It was a dramatic race. I am super proud of all three for finishing. That heat was unbearable. James blister was outrageous. But they did it!

Out of order..flight home. I did it again.
Untitled

Untitled

Bear Lake...those three slackers didn't want to go see it with me.
Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

I did it! Crewed three people, wasn't planned! But I am glad it worked out that way! I got compliments from people at aid stations and the finish line. Woo!
Untitled

No comments: